Daily Digest

Image by j.o.h.n. walker, Flickr Creative Commons

Daily Digest 1/11 - Not Enough Children In CA, Downturn Squeezes Colleges

Friday, January 11, 2013, 10:28 AM

Economy

Here is your Obamacare, America: Health insurers raise rates by double digits (adam)

In California, insurance giants Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield are proposing to hike rates by 22, 26 and 20 percent respectively for some policy holders, according to the companies' filings with the state for 2013. "These rate requests are all the more striking after a 39 percent rise sought by Anthem Blue Cross in 2010 helped give impetus to the law, known as the Affordable Care Act, which passed the same year and will not be fully in effect until 2014," the Times reported.

Astronaut Chris Hadfield engages the world in space mission (westcoastjan)

“What we’re doing on Space Station is fundamentally fascinating and I think the evidence shows through a measure like Twitter where the exploration we’re doing, the experiments we’re doing, the view that it gives us of the world,” said Hadfield in news conference from the International Space Station that was live streamed online.

Superstorm Sandy’s amazing parking lot: Tens of thousands of damaged cars fill N.Y. airport runway (westcoastjan)

The U.S. House has now overwhelmingly approved $9.7 billion to pay flood insurance claims for the many home and business owners flooded out by Sandy. The bill gives more borrowing authority to the National Flood Insurance Program to pay about 115,000 pending claims.

A California Drought: Not Enough Children (jdargis)

In 1970, six years after the end of the baby boom, children made up more than one-third of California's population. By 2030, they will account for just one-fifth, according to projections by lead author Dowell Myers, a USC demographer. "We have a massive replacement problem statewide," Mr. Myers said in an interview.

Downturn Still Squeezes Colleges and Universities (jdargis)

Before the financial crisis of 2008, colleges and universities routinely raised tuition with little effect on the number of prospective students who applied. Some private colleges said that applications actually rose when they increased prices, apparently because families equated higher prices with quality.

Before Rebuilding Beaches, Plucking Debris From Storm-Tossed Sand (jdargis)

The Army Corps of Engineers, which is overseeing the operation on behalf of the city’s parks department, says that in the six weeks leading up to New Year’s Day, the crews in Queens had filtered 94,000 cubic yards of sand. That is enough, the agency estimated, to fill a football field to a depth four feet higher than the goal posts — or 44 feet — said Robert Schneider, an engineer technician for the corps.

First Nations chief threatens to block resource development (westcoastjan)

Aboriginal bands are unhappy about Enbridge Inc’s plans to build a pipeline from the oil sands of Alberta to the Pacific province of British Columbia and say they will not allow the project to go ahead.

Nepinak and other chiefs from Manitoba also said they want Governor General David Johnston, the official representative of Queen Elizabeth in Canada, to be present at the meeting with Harper on Friday. Johnston has already said he will not be there.

Almost Half of all Food Produced is Thrown Away (James S.)

The report found that in the US and parts of Europe nearly half of all food bought by consumers is thrown away; and that 30 percent of all crops grown in the UK are not even harvested because they do not meet the stringent cosmetic standards that are set by supermarkets and other food distributors around the world. These statistics are criminal considering the fact that in 2010 nearly one billion people across the world went without food.

Article suggestions for the Daily Digest can be sent to dd@peakprosperity.com. All suggestions are filtered by the Daily Digest team and preference is given to those that are in alignment with the message of the Crash Course and the "3 Es."

15 Comments

saxplayer00o1's picture
saxplayer00o1
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 30 2009
Posts: 2764
littlefeatfan's picture
littlefeatfan
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 20 2009
Posts: 141
More 3E related Links, Resources and Cartoons

Weekly Summary at http://3es.weebly.com/  Ain't No Reason Edition

Useful resource? Give it a thumbs up!

Tall's picture
Tall
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 18 2010
Posts: 289
New Nicole Foss essay- Scale matters

As contraction picks up momentum, the combination, on the one hand, of a desire to control remaining resources and the benefits from remaining economic activity, and on the other the loss of trust and compliance, and consequent movement towards enforcement, is likely to lead to far more authoritarian forms of government in many places. While central control can occasionally facilitate useful responses to crisis, such as rationing of scarce resources, the power is far more likely to be abused for the benefit of the few, as has so often been the case throughout history.

http://theautomaticearth.com/Finance/scale-matters.html

Organic Raw Veggies's picture
Organic Raw Veggies
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 24 2012
Posts: 49
Health care

The reason why healthcare is so expensive is because corporations can sell people disease causing everything (food, chemicals, cigarettes, soda, sugar, meat, cholesterol, alcohol, drugs, drugs and more drugs). And usually under deceptive pretenses. Expect high rates every year no matter what plan is in effect.

So then healthy people subsidize the unhealthy. I pay more than I use. I never get sick, do not take any meds, exercise and eat plant based food. I subsidize lung cancer chemo so that altera can sell people a dream to smoke.

On top of that the FDA is corrupt and controlled by big food and big pharma. Squash the small businesses and sell death and disease.

Nothing will change until either people learn they can heal themselves and don't need to ever get diseased or the FDA starts really telling the truth. Race for the Cure. you can stop racing because I know the cure. I know the cure to many diseases, even the "incurable" ones. Eat organic raw plant food at least until your healed. Now the FDA will say I am practicing medicine without a license and take all my stuff. Lorraine Day healed herself and has videos.

A garden is the best things you can do for yourself. No one can scam you in your garden. Nature never scams.

If there is a bank, politician or global multinational involved then you are being scammed. Stop supporting them. Be local.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2010
Posts: 2501
Scaling?

Scaling? I'll give them scaling.

Here is a typical galaxy.

Small ones have about 10exp7 stars(100 000 000). Big ones have trillions of stars.

WIKI

And one in six stars have an earth sized planet.

Although I believe that the disadvantages of going down a gravity well outweigh the advantages. But if they want to, who am I to argue?

And here is how they are distributed in a large scale model of the Cosmos.

Nearer to home we have Walls of Galaxies.

Those white dots on the black background are not stars, they are galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

And it is all ours for the taking.

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
Organic vegan raw wrote:The

Organic vegan raw wrote:
The reason why healthcare is so expensive is because corporations can sell people disease causing everything (food, chemicals, cigarettes, soda, sugar, meat, cholesterol, alcohol, drugs, drugs and more drugs). And usually under deceptive pretenses. Expect high rates every year no matter what plan is in effect. So then healthy people subsidize the unhealthy. I pay more than I use. I never get sick, do not take any meds, exercise and eat plant based food. I subsidize lung cancer chemo so that altera can sell people a dream to smoke. On top of that the FDA is corrupt and controlled by big food and big pharma. Squash the small businesses and sell death and disease. Nothing will change until either people learn they can heal themselves and don't need to ever get diseased or the FDA starts really telling the truth. Race for the Cure. you can stop racing because I know the cure. I know the cure to many diseases, even the "incurable" ones. Eat organic raw plant food at least until your healed. Now the FDA will say I am practicing medicine without a license and take all my stuff. Lorraine Day healed herself and has videos. A garden is the best things you can do for yourself. No one can scam you in your garden. Nature never scams. If there is a bank, politician or global multinational involved then you are being scammed. Stop supporting them. Be local.

I agree with 99% of what you say but you really have to be careful about claims which suggest that proper lifestyle (diet, exercise, etc.) will cure all disease.  That just isn't true.  Most of the "diseases of civilization", yes.  All disease, no. 

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
scale ... and getting there

Arthur Robey wrote:

Scaling? I'll give them scaling.

Here is a typical galaxy.

Small ones have about 10exp7 stars(100 000 000). Big ones have trillions of stars.

WIKI

And one in six stars have an earth sized planet.

Although I believe that the disadvantages of going down a gravity well outweigh the advantages. But if they want to, who am I to argue?

And here is how they are distributed in a large scale model of the Cosmos.

Nearer to home we have Walls of Galaxies.

Those white dots on the black background are not stars, they are galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

And it is all ours for the taking.

Arthur,

Here's a dynamic way of appreciating scale, from macro to micro.

http://htwins.net/scale2/

And here's how we'll explore the macro side.

http://archive.org/details/StanDeyo-TheTechnologyOfTheNewWorldOrder

 

AkGrannyWGrit's picture
AkGrannyWGrit
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 6 2011
Posts: 165
Propaganda?

The report says that "nearly half of all food we buy we throw away" perhaps the message is well it's okay to raise food prices because we throw away half anyway.  Hmmmm who would benefit by having us believe this.  My household doesn't throw away half of all of our food and I find it hard to believe that the majority of our country throws away half of their food. 

So which is it Americans are really really dumb because they throw away half their food or are we really really dumb because we believe it?  When was the last time you went to Costco and spent $200 and thought darn I am just going to end up throwing half this stuff away.  Doesn't happen at my house.

AK Granny

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 9 2011
Posts: 550
Arthur Robey wrote: Those

Arthur Robey wrote:

Those white dots on the black background are not stars, they are galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

And it is all ours for the taking.

Yeah, but just watch your six.  Some of these have nasty critters with WMD's that make Bernanke's CTRL-P fallout look like a field of daisies.  Just sayin'.

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 9 2011
Posts: 550
And another thing...

...I'm sure some of these places are quite nice with friendly natives as well.  Blankets and booze, anyone?

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 9 2011
Posts: 550
And the current administration says...

...not gonna happen. 

No Death Star for you

I wonder how much it cost to write this petition response...

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2010
Posts: 2501
The Serious Matter of Gravity

Good links AO.

I feel let down by gravity. (Getit? Never mind.)

The statement that mass bends space-time is an observation not an explanation. Even if you throw the Higgs field into the mix, I wonder how molasses causes mass to keep moving in one direction, just like Newton said.

All that having been said, if the sun's gravity field has a wavelike form, then the boys and girls must be using this model to guide the space probes. If not then they would notice anomalous behaviour in the motion of their craft. I am impressed by the accuracy of the space probe navigators. Just recently there was a hullaballoo when they discovered a very small discrepancy in the Voyager velocities. And as far as I know the Navigators are using bog standard gravity wells. 

RJE's picture
RJE
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 31 2008
Posts: 1369
Arthur...

...you and Mark Cochrane.

Happy Sailing my Friend

BOB

Tall's picture
Tall
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 18 2010
Posts: 289
AO thanks for the scale link

It is beautiful!

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
Tall wrote: It is

Tall wrote:

It is beautiful!

Tall,

That was exactly my reaction when I first saw that site a couple of years ago.  What a magnificent universe we live in.  Glad you enjoyed it. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments